Who we are, what we do
We bring together the sport and recreation sector and support our members to tackle the challenges and take advantage of opportunities. We are the voice of the sector with Government, policy makers and the media. We help get the nation active at the grassroots by providing advice, support and guidance.
Our strategy comes at a critical juncture for both society and our sector. The COVID-19 pandemic has simultaneously reinforced the importance of sport, recreation and physical activity to the lives of individuals and communities but also highlighted how easily it can be taken away. Now, more than ever, we must work creatively and collaboratively to make the case for sport and recreation.
We hope this strategy will set out for you what we will be focusing on over the next four years and how you can be supported.
You can read the full strategy here: Support. Recover. Achieve.
Our impact 2019/20
Here is our journey so far:
Demonstrate the economic and social value of sport and recreation
- Launched our 2017 General Election manifesto
- Successfully achieved the reform on corporation tax for sport
- Invited to provide the Secretariat for the Sports Business Council
- Celebrated third year anniversary of the Mental Health Charter for Sport
- Co-wrote the Mental Health Action Plan for Elite Sport with DCMS
- Lobbied for DEFRA to publish their 25-year environment plan
- Conducted and launched the Sport Club Survey 2017 with Sport England
- Gave evidence to the House of Lords’ Select Committee Inquiry into Brexit: movement of people in the fields of sport and culture
- Submitted evidence several consultations to keep the sector heard
Make sport and recreation volunteering more representative and accessible
- Launched a new online platform to match up eager would-be volunteers with grassroots club during Volunteers’ Week 2018 at the House of Commons
- Released the GIVERS report – Using behavioural science to recruit and retain volunteers more effectively
- Delivered another successful #BigThankYou campaign with BBC Get Inspired during the 2017 BBC Sports Personality of the Year
- Created a new volunteering section on the website dedicated to inspiring volunteers and helping clubs attract them
Work together with the sector to improve the availability, accessibility and quality of sport and recreation for children and young people
- Produced a foundation report Why are we failing our children? that looked at the progress and engagement with children and young people over the past 40 years
- Launched the #RightToBeActive campaign with a petition calling on government to give every child the fundamental right to be active
Make our members and us fit for the future
- Produced The Principles of Good Governance for Sport and Recreation an essential tool for the highest standard of good governance and organisational performance
- Developed a Governance Training Programme to help sport and recreation sector implement The Principles
- Supported the sport and recreation sector to meet the legislative requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) through workshops, free resources and support, online communities and FAQs
- Launched the Young Board Members report to help members and the wider sector engage with their younger stakeholders
- Created a funding signposting page to help members diversify their sources of income
- Produced an exciting events programme which included two new, free events for members: Summer Reception at the Houses of Parliament and an Annual Conference
- Began publishing our quarterly progress against our Key Performance Indicators